Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Letter to Green Door

Green Door
1221 Taylor Street NW
Washington DC 20011

To Whom It May Concern:

Hello, my name is Erin. I am a student in my Junior Year at Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, Florida. Recently, I completed a research project on mental illness and its effects on society. I came across your website when I was looking into the connection between mental illness and homelessness.

I would like to congratulate and thank you for all the help you give to homeless people suffering from mental illness. You provide each and every individual you help with an enormous gift by helping them feel better and get their life back on track. The opportunities and resources that are given to them at the Green Door are invaluable.

Society, too, owes you a standing ovation for all the successful effort you devote to caring for homeless individuals suffering from mental illness. I would like to commend Green Door for going out into the community

I am particularly impressed with the Clubhouse Program your organization operates. A large percentage of jobs, especially those who pay more than minimum wage, require a person to have applicable experience. An adult with little job experience commonly has a very difficult time finding a job that will pay them enough to sustain him or her. If they aren’t getting paid enough, they often have to work two jobs or put in a lot of overtime. This most certainly adds to stress, which in the case of a person dealing with a mental illness, is likely to cause or contribute to a relapse.

The work a person does should be enjoyable and meaningful to them. By providing the opportunity to gain applicable experience, Green Door is increasing the likelihood that its members will find jobs they are enthusiastic about. Having a job they take pleasure in reduces the likelihood of relapse.

I am very interested in volunteering for the Green Door after hearing about what the organization does. It is wonderful to see how much of a difference the Green Door makes in countless lives of individuals by providing them the care and education that they need to establish a happy, healthy, and meaningful life.

Thank you very much for your dedication to homeless individuals suffering from mental illness and to the entire Washington DC community.

Regards,
Erin Mahoney

No comments: